Monday, March 4, 2013

Weekend Perfection

Sometimes you need a weekend devoid of plans to recharge and regroup and feel refreshed once again.

There was a lot going on but I was pretty wiped out so played the non commital card to everything and glad that I didn't commit to any one plan.

Friday night I went out for an early dinner which was perfect because I was able to get back home and do some grocery shopping and still have plenty of time to unwind before going to bed.

I made a decision to not set any alarms for Saturday or Sunday and just let myself sleep and wake up when my body was ready.

This meant Saturday I "slept in" until the beautiful time of 9am.

In Hoboken it was the St. Patty's Day celebration. I had fully intended on participating but when I woke up I had absolutely no desire to rush myself to workout just so I could go out and day drink. I'm getting too old for those shenanigans and to go around and be a drunken mess is not exactly high on my list of priorities at this age.

Instead I enjoyed a relaxing morning of coffee and reading in bed and watching movies before heading to the gym to go get in 5 miles. (there was no way I was navigating the drunk crowds outside - which was sad because it was a really great day!)

For those 5 miles I eased in with 3 miles @ 9:30 and the final 2 miles @ 8:50. I was happy because the 8:50 felt comfortable. I am still concerned with where my speed will be at for the half on the 23rd but I'm chugging away at speed work and upping my easy pace slowly but surely. I'm just trying to be smart about my training and avoid injuries by over doing it. 

Saturday night included one of my favorite easy dinners to whip up:

Sauteed peppers and onions, fajita ground turkey, chobani and salsa over baby spinach. Delicious.
It seriously takes no time at all to make, and I just love it.

Saturday night also included me watching Breaking Dawn: Part 2. Yes I somehow got hooked on the Twilight Series and paid to watch this. Only somewhat ashamed in my choice of movies.

Sunday morning I woke up on my own early so hit the road for my long run right away before I had the time to talk myself out of running outside.

The verdict was 12 miles @ 9:45 pace. I was pretty happy with it. I have a lot on my mind these days and I definitely just zoned out during this run. The miles flew by and I wasn't in tune with my body like I usually am. It was just what I needed though, therapeutic miles, without trying to hit any sort of splits.

I was happy to have the run out of the way and then able to just sit back and relax for the remainder of Sunday.

I should also mention my new obsession:

Yes my name is Gianna and I am addicted to All Bran.
I randomly picked up All Bran the other day and well can't get enough. Although warning the fiber content on there is crazy so ummm proceed with caution if you know what I mean!

Overall this weekend played out perfectly. I am energized and have renewed mental focus. I was so drained after the past couple of crazy weeks and was getting too stressed out so completely changing the pace was just what the doctor ordered.

Here is to a great week!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I wonder if I could figure out a vegetarian substitute for the turkey because I love those kinds of flavors. Also, I love lazy weekends. They're the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever use the ground beef crumbles like morningstar I am sure that would work alright - or perhaps cube tempeh or tofu as an alternative? I use the packets of fajita or taco spice usually for the seasoning. It is so delicious and easy :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a perfect weekend- we all need that extra downtime to recharge!

    ReplyDelete